FOR HAN RIVERFRONT, DA NANG CITY
International Landscape design competition for HAN river, Da Nang city. On 1st August 2016, the ‘Landscape Design Competition for Han riverfront, Danang city’ had been officially launched. Since then, this competition had drawn much concerns and…
SCREENING RESULT OF SHORT-LISTED TEAMS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE MAIN STAGE OF THE COMPETITION On 15 August 2016 (on schedule with the timeline previously approved by Danang City People’s Committee on 7 July 2016), the…
ANNOUNCEMENT Of the Competition Organizing Board on the Short – list of formal participants August 16th 2016 Pursuant to Decision No. 4405/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the People’s Committee regarding the approval of the list of…
Internationl Landspace design competition for Han Riverfront, Da Nang City, Vietnam On 1st August 2016, the ‘Landscape Design Competition for Han riverfront, Da Nang city’ is officially launched. This is an International Competition of which…
Da Nang – a coastal city in Central Vietnam – has always been recognised as the economic, political, cultural, social, educational, scientific and technological hub of the Central Coastal and Highland region, and of the whole country. Covering an area of 1,285.43 square kilometers, this unique city is well recognised for its endowment of natural landscape features with a spectacular blend of mountains, rivers, beaches and a forested peninsula. With a beautiful landscape and strategic location near three World Heritage sites, Da Nang has become a destination for both investment and visitors from all over the world. Together with its young and forward-looking population, the government of Da Nang is working on the implementation of innovative but pragmatic urban development strategies to enhance the quality of living for residents and strengthen its positioning.
Throughout the history of Da Nang, Han River has always been part of the city’s daily life. The river has been a key witness of Da Nang’s transformation over time and also a bridge between the city’s past, present and future. Han River is also the most important open space corridor and destination for investment in the city.
With its great potential and inherent significance, any impact on the Han River, its flow and its waterfronts are of core concern to the Da Nang authorities and people. Han River and its waterfront landscape are expected to become more attractive and unique, eventually building up a brand for Da Nang City and promote the city’s development of a vigorious and sustainable economy, culture, society and environment.
Objectives, Characteristic of the Competition
The ‘International Landscape Design Competition for Han River, Da Nang City’ is Authorised by the Da Nang City People’s Committee, co-organised by the Da Nang Department of Construction and the Vietnam National Institute of Architecture (VIAr); and patronised by the Vietnam Associate of Architects. It looks for excellent overall landscape design concept as well as detailed landscape design solutions for the riverside area in the city centre.
This competition seeks for best planning and landscape design ideas and solutions for the Han River in order to bring new vitality to the city and building up its core values of being in harmony with nature, environmentally friendly, good quality of life, economical and cultural vitality.
Expected Design Outcomes
- To build an overall and sustainable Vision for the Han River.
- To shape the riverside landscape to embody symbolic features and identity, contributing to the emerging brand of Da Nang City.
- To enhance the quality of urban space, to create a liveable environment for the city’s citizens and an attractive destination for tourists.
- To build up a lively and people-oriented social environment with abundant waterfront recreational opportunities.
- To protect the ecological environment of the Han River and to enhance climate change adaptation capability.
- Be a foundation for development management and the execution of detailed planning projects, investment projects along the Han River
ORGANISATION OF THE COMPETITION
Competition Organising Board
The COB – with 18 members, has been established pursuant to Decision No. 4405/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the Da Nang City People’s Committee. Members of the COB are experienced professionals (in management and organisation) as well as representatives of Da Nang City People’s Committee, of departments involved, of professional associations and organisations, etc. who will chair and organise the competition directly.
Office of COB: Office of Department of Construction of Da Nang City: 12 – 13 floor, Administrative Building, 24 Tran Phu Street, Hai Chau district, Da Nang City.
Website of the competition: hanriver.viar.gov.vn
|Name||Position – Office||Role|
|1||Mr. Huynh Duc Tho||Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee||Head|
|2||Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Tuan||Vice Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee||Deputy Head|
|3||Mr. Do Thanh Tung||Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture (VIAr)||Deputy Head|
|4||Mr. Vu Quang Hung||Director of Da Nang City Department of Construction||Deputy Head|
|5||Mr. Tran Van Son||Director of Da Nang City Department of Planning and Investment||Member|
|6||Mr. Ngo Quang Vinh||Director of Da Nang City Department of Tourism||Member|
|7||Ms. Pham Thuy Loan||Deputy Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|8||Mr. Nguyen Huu Sy||Head of Division of Urban Architectural Management, Da Nang City Department of Construction||Member|
|9||Mr. Le Tu Gia Thanh||Director of Danang Planning Institute||Member|
|10||Mr. Nguyen Minh Duc||Director of Institute of Housing and Public buildings– Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|11||Ms. Nguyen Thu Trang||Deputy Head of Office of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|12||Ms. Nguyen Hai Van Hien||Professional staff – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|13||Ms. Nguyen Thanh Tu||Professional staff – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|14||Ms. Ta Hoang Van||Director of Centre of Training and International Cooperation – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|15||Ms. Nguyen Thuy Dung||Deputy Director of Centre of Training and International Cooperation – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|16||Ms. Do Thanh Hoa||Division of Finance – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|17||Ms. Pham Thanh Huyen||Chef Editor of Journal of Vietnam Architecture – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|18||Mr. Pham Hoang Phuong||Deputy Editor of Journal of Vietnam Architecture – Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
Professional Advisory Board
Professional Advisory Board, established pursuant to Decision No. 4406/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the Da Nang City People’s Committee, includes 11 members, who are experienced experts in specialisations related to the competition and invited by the COB – on behalf of the Investor to study and offer advice to the formulation of design tasks, rules of the competition and selection of participants. The PAB consists of representatives of state and municipal professional associations; local and international specialists in planning, urban design and landscape; researchers in local history, geography and culture.
|Title – Name||Position – Affiliation||Role|
|1||Arch. Nguyen Tan Van||Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects||Chairman|
|2||Arch. Nguyen Ngoc Tuan||Vice Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee||Vice Chairman|
|3||Ma.Arch. Do Thanh Tung||Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Vice Chairman|
|4||Assoc. Prof.Dr.Arch. Pham Thuy Loan||Deputy Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Vice Chairman|
|5||Assoc. Prof.Dr.Arch. Nguyen Quoc Thong||Vice Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects||Member|
|6||Dr.Arch. To Van Hung||Head of urban board – Da Nang City People’s Assembly||Member|
|7||Assoc. Prof.Dr.Arch. Pham Hung Cuong||Head of Department of Planning, National University of Civil Engineering||Member|
|8||Arch. Nguyen Luan||Landscape Expert||Member|
|9||Arch. Torsten Illgen||President of Inros Lackner ILC||Member|
|10||Dr.Arch. Pho Duc Tung||Landscape and Urban design Expert||Member|
|11||Dr.Arch. Nguyen Phuong Nga||Urban design expert||Member|
The Jury, established pursuant to Decision No. 4407/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the Da Nang City People’s Committee, includes Vietnamese and international leading experts in planning and landscape design. Members of the Jury will take the responsibilities to comment on, evaluate and select the best design proposals for more profound study – prior to consulting the Investor final consideration and awarding prizes. There are three international Jury members from Asia, Europe and America.
|TT||Title – Name||Position – Office||Role|
|1||Arch. Nguyen Tan Van||Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects||Chairman|
|2||Arch. Nguyen Ngoc Tuan||Vice Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee||Vice Chairman|
|3||Representative of Ministry of Construction||Ministry of Construction||Member|
|4||MS.Arch. Do Thanh Tung||Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member|
|5||Ma.Arch. Vu Quang Hung||Director of Da Nang City Department of Construction||Member|
|6||Arch. Nguyen Van Tat||Chairman of Management board of TAT & Associate D’Architectura Co.,Ltd.||Member|
|7||Dr. Arch. Pho Duc Tung||Landscape and Urban design Expert||Member|
|8||Dr. Kelly Shanon||Professor of University of Sounth California||Member|
|9||Arch. Daniel R. Ringelstein||AIA, Director of Urban Design and Planning of SOM||Member|
|10||Dr.Arch. Tan Puay Yok||School of Design and Environment, National University of Singapore||Member|
|11||Assoc. Prof.Dr.Arch. Pham Thuy Loan||Deputy Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture||Member, Secretary|
Arch. NGUYEN TAN VAN
Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects
Arch. Nguyen Tan Van is one of the greatest with prestige and high reputation among Vietnamese architects. He has held vital and significant roles of national and international professional associations and participated in many important missions of Ministry of Construction, VN and Vietnam Government.
He has been chairman or member of Juries of many renowned national and international architectural and planning design competitions.
Arch. NGUYEN NGOC TUAN
- Vice Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee,
- Vice Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects,
- Former Chairman of Da Nang city Association of Architects
Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Tuan completed his graduate study at Faculty of Architecture, University of Kiev, Ukraine (1984).
Work – Position:
+1985 – 1997: Work for government agencies;
+1997 – 2000: Director of Da Nang Institute of Urban planning;
+2000 – 2002: Deputy Director of Da Nang City Department of Construction;
+2002 – 2012: Director of Da Nang City Department of Construction;
+Feb. 2012 to present: Vice Chairman of Da Nang City People’s Committee.
Ma.Arch. DO THANH TUNG
Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture
Ma.Arch. Do Thanh Tung completed his graduate study (1986) and postgraduate study (2001) majoring in architecture at Hanoi Architectural University, Vietnam.
Work – Position:
+ 2008 – 2011: Director of Research Centre of Heritage Conservation and Director of Architectural Museum – Vietnam Institute of Urban and Rural Planning;
+ 2011 – 2013: Deputy Director of Architectural and Planning Department – Ministry of Construction;
+ 2013 to present: Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture – Ministry of Construction;
And other important positions.
Ma.Arch. Do Thanh Tung has 30 years of working experience in the fields of architecture, planning, conservation planning and heritage conservation. In addition to practice activities, he has also involved in many significant planning and conservation planning programs, projects at provincial and national levels.
Ma. Arch. VU QUANG HUNG
- Director of Da Nang City Department of Construction,
- Chairman of Da Nang city Association of Architects
Work – position:
+Chairman of Da Nang Association of Architects;
+Deputy Director of Da Nang Construction Department;
+Director of Da Nang Construction Department (2015).
Arch. NGUYEN VAN TAT
Chairman of Management Board of TAT & Associate D’Architectura Co.,Ltd.
Arch. Nguyen Van Tat completed his graduate study at Ho Chi Minh City University of Architecture, Vietnam in 1979.
He has over 30 years of working experience in the fields of architecture and planning as he has involved and chaired many projects in the South of Vietnam. He is the Founder and Chairman of Management Board of TAT & Associates D’Architectura Co., Ltd.
Arch. Nguyen Van Tat has won many National Prizes in Architecture, a National Prize in Literature and Arts and many other prestige national and international prizes and awards.
From 1994 to present, he has been Vice Chairman of Vietnam Association of Architects, Vice Chairman of Ho Chi Minh City Association of Architects. He is also a member of Union International Architect and holds other important positions in Vietnam professional groups and associations.
In addition, he has been Deputy Director of Architectural Journal – VAA since 2005.
Dr.Arch. PHO DUC TUNG
Expert in Planning and Landscape Design
Dr.Arch. Pho Duc Tung had studied on Cultural economic at Berlin Univeristy of Economic (1987-1990), Business administration with specialization in Foreign trade and banking (1991-1994), Chinese language and Philosophy at Humboldt Berlin University (1996-1997).
He studied and completed his PhD. majoring in architecture at Technical University of Berlin (1994-2000).
Dr.Arch. Pho Duc Tung has over 20 years of experience working in the fields of architecture, urban planning, conservation and landscape design. In addition to practice activities, he has also involved and conducted many important scientific researches, studies, programs and projects.
Dr. KELLY SHANNON
Landscape expert from Europe – Professor of University of South California
Dr. KELLY SHANNON
Landscape expert from Europe – Professor of University of South California
Dr. Kelly Shannon completed her Bachelor of Architecture at
Carnegie Mellon University, USA (1983-1988); Master of Architecture at Berlage Institute, Nerthelands (1992-1994) and Doctorate in Applied Sciences: Architecture at University of Leuven, Belgium (1999-2004).
Since 1996, she has been associate professor, visiting professor and full professor of Architecture, Landscape, Urbanism etc. in many renowned institutes, schools of architecture and universities in Asia, Europe and America. From January 2015 to present, Dr. Shannon has been working at University of South California as Director of the Master of Landscape Architecture Program and Landscape Architecture Discipline Head.
For 20 years of graduate and postgraduate training, she has involved and chaired many workshops, studios and exchange educational programs most of which Asia countries (especially Vietnam) are studying sites.
Dr. Shannon focuses are urbanism, landscape urbanism, planning and urban design. She has conducted and participated in many researches, studies and programs about Asian countries and Vietnam.
DANIEL R. RINGELSTEIN
AIA, Director of Urban Design and Planning of SOM
Ma. Arch. Dan Ringelstein has completed his study in Ecole d’Architecture de Versailles, France (1987-1988), Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies in University of Illinois (1989), and Masters of Architecture in Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1991).
Arch. Dan Ringelstein brings a unique perspective to his many accomplishments in urban environments around the world. As an architect, urban designer, and planner, he is both interested in the physical characteristics of a place and how planning, urban design, urban infrastructure, and architecture can create a positive public environment. This is evident in the strong role he has played in getting complex projects of significant magnitude planned, implemented, and built.
As the leader of SOM’s European Urban Design + Planning Group, Arch. Ringelstein directs projects that focus on the urban regeneration of cities. He also guides and implements the urban strategy of each architectural project in the London office. Collaborating closely within a multidisciplinary team, he assists in the development of all concepts with the client and specialist consultants.
Arch. Ringelstein has extensive experience in working in differing cultures and contexts across the United States, Europe, and Southeast Asia. His urban design and planning skills include working with regional authorities, city officials, developers, specialist consultants, and individual communities to deliver long-term visions. His architectural design skills include working with clients and consultants developing all phases of a project from the initial conceptual studies through construction.
Dr. Tan Puay Yok
School of Design and Environment
National University of Singapore
Dr. Tan Puay Yok has completed his Bachelor of Horticulture with First Class Honours in Massey University, New Zealand and his PhD of Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture in Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA.
He is a member of International Association for Landscape Ecology and US Regional Association for International Association for Landscape Ecology.
Dr. Tan Puay Yok is interested in Functional Performance of Urban Landscapes that optimizes the performance of urban landscapes as a medium to deliver ecosystem services for enhancing the built environment through manipulation of landscape pattern, composition and design. He also studies Urban Greenery Solutions for the Built Environment, which is the development of urban solutions to integrate urban greenery with the built environment in compact cities. Urban Ecology is also one of his interests using the framework of a city as a socio-ecological system to understand the interactions and roles of multiple actors in determining landscape values.
Assoc. Prof.Dr.Arch. PHAM THUY LOAN
Deputy Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture.
Assoc.Prof.Dr.Arch. Pham Thuy Loan completed her graduate study at National University of Civil Engineering, Vietnam (1996). She did her postgraduate study (1998) and PhD. (2002) with Urban Design major at the University of Tokyo, Japan.
Work – position:
+ 2004 – 2011: Lecturer of Planning Department, National University of Civil Engineering (NUCE);
+ 2008 – 2014: Deputy Director of Urban planning and Architectural Institute – NUCE;
+ 2011 – 2014: Head of Planning Department, NUCE;
+ 2014 – present: Deputy Director of Vietnam National Institute of Architecture – Ministry of Construction.
With over 15 years of working experiences in academic, training and practice activities in the fields of urban planning and urban design in Vietnam and abroad, Assoc.Prof.Dr.Arch. Pham Thuy Loan has involved and conducted many scientific researches, studies, publications and projects.
- Pursuant to Town Planning Law No. 30/2009/QH12 of the 12th National Assembly, 5th working session on 17/06/2009;
- Pursuant to Decree No. 37/2010/ND-CP dated 07/04/2010 of the Government on the establishment, verification, approval and management of urban planning projects;
- Pursuant to Decree No. 38/2010/ND-CP dated 07/04/2010 of the Government on the management of urban planning, architecture and landscape;
- Pursuant to Circular No. 23/2009/TT-BXD dated 16/07/2009 of the Ministry of Construction regarding the procedure of a design competition and selection of building design proposals;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 2357/QD-TTg dated 04/12/2013 of the Prime Minister on approving adjusting Master Plan of Da Nang city up to 2030, vision to 2050;
- Official document No. 10376/UBND-QLDTh dated 30/12/2015 of Da Nang City People’s Committee on appointing Department of Construction of Da Nang City to invite the Vietnam Institute of Architecture for consulting organising an architectural and landscape design competition for Han River, Da Nang City;
- Official document No. 283/SXD-QLKT dated 13/01/2016 of the Department of Construction of Da Nang City on inviting Vietnam Institute of Architecture to be Organising Consultant for the competition;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 3248/QĐ-UBND dated 16/07/2016 of Da Nang City People’s Committee on approving the boundary for the performance of overall planning and landscape design concept;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 4405/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the People’s Committee regarding the approval of the list of Organising Board members of the international landscape design competition for Han River, Da Nang City;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 4406/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the People’s Committee regarding the approval of the list of Professional Advisory Board’s members of the international landscape design competition for Han River, Da Nang City;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 4407/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the People’s Committee regarding the approval of the list of Jury’s members of the international landscape design competition for Han Riverside area, Da Nang City;
- Pursuant to Decision No. 4408/QD-UBND dated 07/07/2016 of the People’s Committee regarding the approval of the working agenda of the international landscape design competition for Han River, Da Nang City.
Competition schedule (update)
|1.||Announcement of the competition||01/08||On official website, TV, mass media|
|2.||Receipt of registration for the competition||01/08 – 12/08||At the office of the COB / Or by e-mail to the COB|
|3.||Participant Shortlisting by COB and PAB||12/08 – 15/08||At the office of the COB|
|4.||Proposal preparation||15/08 – 15/10|
|5.||Proposal submission||15/11||At the office of the COB|
|6.||Public feedback and voting – Exhibition||16/11 – 25/11||On the website|
|7.||Participants give presentation to the Jury||24/11||
Administrative Center of Danang City
|8.||Proposals evaluated and selected by the Jury||25/11||
Administrative Center of Danang City
|9.||Summary of results, announcement of winners and awards||26/11||Administrative Center of Danang City|
|9.||Contest Award||Expected 30/11||Administrative Center of Danang City|
Registration and Participation Procedure
Consultants in Vietnam and from abroad who are interested in the competition should prepare for registration by providing the following documents:
- Registration Form (Form 1.1 or 1.2 – enclosed in the Annex).
- Company Profile (Form 2 – enclosed in the Annex).
Registration Document Submission
Registration applications for the competition should be submitted in one of the following two manners:
- As handover document at the COB office.
- By e-mail to the e-mail address of the COB.
Selection and Invitation of Participating Consultants
Based on the qualifications and experience of registered consultants, the COB and the PAB will select 7 to 10 consultants who are deemed most appropriate and with best capabilties for official invitation.
The selection will be made as follows:
- Vietnamese consultants (or Vietnamese consultants in partnership with foreign partners): 30 – 40 % of the participants.
- Foreign consultants: 60 – 70% of the participants.
Consultants invited to participate in the competition will have 60 days to prepare their design proposal (including time for site surveying and Questions & Answers). The proposals should be submitted to the COB with the following requirements:
Mode of Submission
Design solutions can be submitted in one of the two options below:
- Delivered directly at the COB office.
- Delivered by post as registered mail to the COB office address.
Notes: For those choosing to submit design proposals by post, it is compulsory that the design solutions should arrive at the COB office before the deadline (if delivered late, the date as shown on the postal seal is not accepted). Design solutions submitted by e-mail are not allowed.
Requirements of Deliverables
- Company Profile:
- 01 set of Company profile (Form 3 – enclosed in the Annex)
- Hard copy:
+ 01 set of (maximum) 10 A0 drawings (portrait format) printed on light-weight panels.
+ 15 sets of design description booklets on A3 paper (firmly bound) with all texts and drawings.
- 01 CD or USB containing all drawings, Powerpoint slides and film (if any).
- Video, model (not compulsory).
– Languages to be used are English and Vietnamese.
– Metric unit: metre, hectare.
– Currency unit: USD and VND.
In order to ensure objectivity in the judging process of the competition, names of consultants must not be revealed in any form or shown in any document submitted to the COB. Each participant should choose one “anonymous code” consisting of two letters and two digits (for example: AB12) in place of the name of participants.
All required documents comprise: A0 drawings, A3 design description booklets (firmly bound), model (if any) and company profile must be submitted in sealed envelopes with the anonymous codes printed on.
3D short films (if applicable) can be shown at the presentation before the Jury. However, the rule of anonymity is likewise to be applied strictly on 3D films during the presentation.
Company profiles will be kept by the Representative(s) of the Investor and only announced when the evaluation has been finished.
Proposal Presentation before the Jury
- Right after submission proposal to the COB, participants will be informed of the official date and venue of the presentation before the Jury.
- Each participant will appoint its representative to present the proposal in Powerpoint slide format (or in any other format if necessary; technical supporting equipment must be self-prepared), so that the ideas and most important points can be properly highlighted/emphasised.
- Language for oral presentation before the Jury can be optional: either English or Vietnamese (Simultaneous translation will be provided. In the event the consultant wishes to prepare the translation by themselves, their translators may work alongside concurrently to save time).
- The maximum amount of time for each presentation, including translation, is 45 minutes.
Proposal Assessment Procedure
The design solutions will be evaluated by the Jury and voted by the public. The procesures for these two systems are explained below:
Procedure of Evaluation – for the Jury
After carefully reading all submitted design documents and listening to all presentations, the Jury will analyse, evaluate and select the design proposals in compliance with Circular No. 23/2009/TT-BXD and selection/evaluation rules applicable to the Jury. The design proposals with the highest scores in the rating system of the Jury will be awarded prizes in the prize categories of the competition.
Procedure of Public Voting
After the participants have submitted their design proposals, the technical group will summarise and upload all eligible proposals to the official Website of the competition for public voting in Vietnam and abroad. Voting on the Website will be open for 15 days. Following, the voting will be automatically closed. The design proposal with highest number of votes from the public will win the Public Choice Prize.
Procedure for Summarising Results and Award Ceremony
After the Jury members have made the decision of the final results and the online voting system has been closed, the COB will collect and submit the result data to the Investor for approval and then announce the results on the official website of the competition. An award ceremony will be held immediately after the recognition of the results.
Awards and Compensation
- Award of the Jury
01 First Prize : 50,000 USD
01 Second Prize : 20,000 USD
- Public Choice Award
01 Prize for proposal with highest votes: 5,000 USD
Each participant who can meet the requirements on quantity, quality, deadline and format of design proposal in accordance with the rules and design tasks will receive from the COB a financial support at 5,000 USD per proposal.
Mode of Compensation
The award value and compensation as mentioned above will include all taxes that the winners should pay according to the current state law. These awards and compensation will be sent to the winning consultants after the Investor has approved of the final results of the competition and the winners have finished all the required financial procedures.
Benefits and Responsibilities of Participants and Investor
Benefits of Participants
The First Prize winner will be given priority in being invited by the Investor to negotiate on the project implementation in the next steps.
In case the negotiation fails or the winner refuses to attend the negotiation, the Investor may be able to select consultant(s) of the next best design proposal for another discussion.
Individual(s) whose design has/have been selected for construction will have his/her/their copyright protected and be able to establish a project, as well as to go further to the subsequent design stages if he/she/they is/are capable of doing so. Otherwise, he/she/they may choose to collaborate with a competent consultant for the implementation of the project. Should the winner disagree to further develop the design concept, the Investor will choose an appropriate contractor for the project implementation. However, the copyright shall belong to the individual(s) whose design has been selected.
Responsibilities of Participants
All participants must comply with the following regulations of the competition. They must ensure that:
- The design is not in any conflict with intellectual property rights;
- The design has not yet been used or shown in any mass media in Vietnam as well as abroad;
- The design will not be reproduced for any other competition without the prior written consent from the Investor.
Participants are responsible to bear all the expenses and/or all the taxes related to their activities within the competition.
Participants are responsible to read carefully and accept all the articles and terms in the competition document.
Awards will be directly given to individuals or organisations whose design proposals have been selected, or to legally authorised persons.
All the submitted designs will not be returned in any circumstances.
Benefits of Investor
The Investor will be able to select one proposal of winning team(s) and discuss with the authors in order to revise the design concept to meet the requirements of the Investor better.
The Investor will be able to select a competent and most appropriate consultant for the next steps of project implementation based on the concepts and findings of shortlisted design solutions within this competition. However, information sources need to be cited.
The Investor has the right to use all design materials (such as drawings, illustrations, etc.) submitted by participants for exhibitions and/or promotional activities.
The Investor will be able to ask any participant to refund the award value if this participant is found reproducing a design from another competition without the Investor’s consent.
Responsibilities of Investor
The Investor is responsible to organise an open and transparent design competition. All the requirements from the Investors must be informed to the participants in full and clear form.
The Investor is responsible to pay the fees, including design awards and financial support for participating consultants as specified in the rules of this design competition.
Scope of works
Task 1. Propose overall landscape planning concept for the whole Han riverside area
- Planning area: defined by boundary of Zone 1 (Map 1) according to Decision No. 3248/QĐ-UBND dated 16/07/2016 by People’s Committee of the city of Da Nang
- Proposing overall landscape planning concept for Han riverside area within the boundary of Zone 1; proposing landscape zoning and appropriate exploiting and interventing strategy for each zone/area.
- Proposing activities and land-use planning respectively along the river banks for each zone/area within the design boundar
- Proposing spatial, land-use and infrastructural connections with relevant existing urban areas outside the boundary (city centre, residential areas, existing public places etc).
- Selecting several strategic or typical landscape areas for specific proposals (except areas/zones defined and prescribed in the below Task 2).
- Overall planning and landscape design concept should be performed at scale 1/20,000 for the whole river and at scale 1/2,000 for strategic or typical landscape design areas/zones.
Task 2. Propose detailed landscape design for Han riverside area in Da Nang City’s centre.
- The boundary for detailed study – Zone 2 from North of Thuan Phuoc bridge to Tuyen Son bridge is just a suggestion. Participants – with considerations and analyses – may feel free to propose your own boundary.
- Proposing detailed landscape design solution for Riverside areas in the city centre at scale 1/2000; Specific areas might be studied at scale 1/500.
- Proposing and diversifying socio-economic activities and respective land-use for this zone.
- Connectivity, continuity and interaction, both spatially and functionally, with important urban design elements should be highlighted (for instance bridges, highrise buildings, landmarks, heritage buildings, existing public buildings, etc.).
- Proposing daily activity scenarios and annual events with special attention to promote existing activities.
- Proposing plant and landscape design solutions, especially sustainable solutions towards ecologically, financially and culturally speaking.
- Proposing important urban design facilties, decoration and lighting;
- Proposing solutions for infrastructure: access, parking, public transportation, sanitation.
Proposing Investment phasing and financial solutions.
The proposals would be assessed based on the following basic criteria:
- Having a clear and thorough design vision
- Unique and iconic to transform the image of the city
- Rich and diverse in programming and landscaping
- Vibrant and active
- Comfortable and easily accessed
- Ecological and sustainable
- Promoting economic development and investment
- Reflecting and promoting local culture and heritage
- Feasible and cost-effective
and among others.
Requirements for proposal document
Design proposal will be submitted in the form of 10 A0 panels showing, but not limited to, below information:
- Site condition analysis, SWOT analysis
- Illustrations for concept, ideas and design philosophy
- Master plans, layouts, cross sections, elevations, 3D perspectives, landscape views, etc.
- Detailed drawings to explain technical
- Investment phasing plan
- Other media such as movie, physical models, etc. are encouraged but not required
Plus 15 copies of the proposal report in A3 format
Data to be provided
General information on Da Nang city
- Climate and hydrological conditions.
- Socio-economic development.
- Spatial database:
- Atlas map of Da Nang city (DACRISS).
- Master plan of Da Nang city (updated version).
- Satellite image of the entire urban area.
Information on project site
- Map of existing topography.
- Map of boundary of project site.
- Map of current land use.
- Map of other related projects: updated map of all related projects to the site.
- Map of significant structures (bridges, high buildings in recent and forthcoming years, public buildings, heritage buildings, etc. within 500 m from the riverbanks).
- E-portal of Da Nang City:
- Da Nang E-Newspaper:
- Homepage of Department of Construction, Da Nang City:
- Da Nang City Tourism Portal:
Data & Maps